Upper body training, commonly known as strength training, is an essential part of every fitness regime. It mostly plays a vital role in your upper body workouts. The muscles in your upper body play an important role in keeping you healthy and robust, majorly the muscles of arms, elbows, and wrist.
What are the essentials that you need for doing your upper body workout?
- Yoga or exercising mat
- Few dumbbells or weights
- Thera bands
- Water bottle
Could you give it a start with a good warm-up?
Warm-up is the best way to prepare yourself for physical exertion or any daily workouts. It is done in the form of gentle exercises beforehand. It is imperative to perform a warm-up before stressing your muscles to have a more extended performance and avoid an excess of fatigue.
A few of the best upper body warm exercises are
- Rope jumping for 2-3 minutes
- Arm circles
- Arm swings
- Stretching your arms out and around
- Spinal rotations
- Jogging in place
An excellent warm-up leads to an effective workout. So after this, you can now focus on your upper body workout exercises.
Do you know about the muscles which help you to perform push-ups? It majorly works by your biceps, pectorals, and chest muscles. Along with that, our shoulder muscles and core also have a prominent role in performing push-ups. Push-ups are among the most effective upper body exercises capable of giving you complete upper half strength by just using your body weight.
Steps to perform the push-ups
- You have to start it from a high plank position. Your shoulder joint lies straight over your wrists, and the distribution of weight should be equal around your ten fingers. Now you have to pull your both kneecaps in an upward direction towards your belly button.
- You have to be in the same position and have to maintain a correct line with your body. Your back should be flat, and the core remains tight. Along with this, your neck is in a straight line with the spine and eyes looking in front of you.
- Now simultaneously bring your chest down towards the mat while keeping both your elbows by your sides. Be in a straight line to your body.
- As you reach the bottom of your push up, exhale the air out and again and go to the high plank position.
These Dumbbell punches are an effortless warm-up practice. These improve your arm muscles and build them up for an excellent training session. And this cardio workout maintains heating your whole body.
The Way To Perform Dumbbell Punches-
- Straighten your elbow and punch the dumbbell alternately.
- With one hand, uplift the dumbbell, then take them near your upper body with your elbows pushing to your sides.
- Just repeat this process for 1 to 2 minutes.
To perform this exercise, bend your elbows to 90 degrees, holding your set of dumbbells. Keep your upper arms parallel with the floor, and dumbbells at the height of your head.
Now exhale and while exhaling, hold the dumbbells overhead without tangling them together. Return to the first position, preventing the elbows from drooping under your shoulder's height.
Which muscles are used in the bicep curls: the lower arm and upper arm's anterior part, which is the bicep muscles. Bicep curl helps in building the toned arms. Whenever you pick something up, these bicep muscles will help you.
How to do bicep curls properly:
- To maximize the engagement of your bicep muscle ( using the back muscles also), one thing you must do is, keep your elbows off and a little bit in front of your body.
- Keep in mind that do not twirl the weights and do not control the dumbbells on the way up-down. Going handled and slow on the way down is the excellent part of bicep curl. The bicep curl also helps in building your overall muscles.
Side plank with lateral raise
When starting the side plank, keep your bottom knee on the floor, either wholly or modified.
Keep a lightweight dumbbell in your uppermost hand. Now bring the dumbbell in the forepart of the centre of your midst.
By keeping the arm a bit bent, lift the dumbbell to the height of your shoulder. Come back to the starting position. For a little challenge, lift your upper leg and join it to the held dumbbell after every rep.
While they are not getting as much attention as your biceps, your triceps must be pretty muscular. It plays a crucial role in pushing and pulling movements. Your triceps possess three segments: the upper inside, lower inside, and outside—every part efforts with your back muscles and shoulder to accomplish specific movements.
The proper way to do triceps dip:
- Stand at the forefront of an exercise step or a chair.
- Place your hands on the edge of the chair, and your fingers must face your hips.
- Keep your feet firmly on the floor and keep your knees bent at 90 degrees.
Hips must be adjacent to the chair. Your shoulders should be right over your hands and elbows straight. Do not lockout. Steadily bend your elbows at 90-degree and then straighten them back to the first position.
So, these were the best six exercises you can perform while training your upper body.