Today people are more aware of their health. They go to the gym and perform various exercises to keep themselves fit and active. However, being fit and healthy doesn’t mean burning out calories only. Complete physical fitness means achieving overall health and muscle flexibility.
Yes, we are here talking about flexibility. Many fitness freaks don’t think about flexibility, but it is a crucial part of exercising. If a person gains flexibility, they are likely to exercise more effortlessly and have a lower risk of muscle strain.
Sadly, most of the exercises don’t bother about stretching at all. But here we’ll explain why it is so essential for the new exercisers. So, let’s read the entire post.
Tight Muscle Can Create Muscle Tensions
Beginner exercisers have tight muscles initially, which can hurt the workout and create muscle tension if they start exercising without stretching. Moreover, if you have tight muscles, you cannot do some of the intense workouts like squats, skipping, and jumping.
The individual also feels tension in the muscles while bending their knees towards the ground. Apart from this, if the hips muscles and others are too tight, you might not be able to do some steps with such tight muscles.
Furthermore, you do not get the complete benefit from the exercise, and you become vulnerable to muscle injury. This is why it is essential to have the flexibility for beginner exercisers.
Benefits of Flexibility for New Beginners
Flexibility is the most crucial part of fitness training. There are various benefits of flexibility which are as follows:
- Increase the muscle coordination
- It helps to minimize the risk of the lower back pain
- It helps to strengthen the physical activities
- It helps improve the body posture
- It reduces the soreness of the muscle and makes the muscle more flexible to perform physical activities.
Stretching for the Beginner Exercisers
Flexibility training is a systematic progression that constitutes three different phases which are as follows:
Corrective flexibility is for improving muscle imbalances. It includes self-myofascial release and static stretching. In contrast to this, active flexibility increases the neuromuscular efficiency and extensibility of the soft tissues.
The functionality flexibility is for multiplanar soft tissue stretchability, which is integrated with optimum neuromuscular control through motion.
Techniques of Stretching
Before you start stretching, make sure to do a warm-up for a few minutes. Because stretching with cold muscles can cause you muscle injury as well. Also, try to start with low-intensity warm-ups like walking, arms circling, and legs stretching.
It would be great to do a warm-up for five to ten minutes. The beginner exerciser can start with gentle dynamic stretching and static stretching before and after exercise. While performing stretching, be sure to follow these crucial steps.
- Start by taking a deep breath and gradually exhale out as soon as you gently stretch your muscle to the full extent.
- Hold your stretched position for at least 15-30 seconds. Repeat the process two to four times.
- Dynamic stretches are more intense and advanced, so you can increase your stretching time and perform only under qualified trainers.
- Do not try to bounce the stretch as it may cause your muscle strain.
- Avoid stretching those muscles which are cold or either do not warm up.
- Try to avoid muscle strain and do not push your muscles irrelevantly. If in case the stretching is hurting your muscle, then ease it down.
- Breathe naturally during stretching and avoid holding breath while stretching because it may reduce the muscles’ oxygen flow.
Stretching During the Compressed Schedule
Time restriction is another reason why many people avoid stretching during a compressed schedule. Many beginners, as well as advanced exercisers, are always in a hurry. Here, you can have some tips that help stretch out your muscles even in your tight schedule.
After the intense workout session, stretching is beneficial to improve muscle strength and bring flexibility.
- If you do not have considerable time for stretching and warm-up, try to do some stretching while relaxing in your hot tub after the shower. The hot water increases the muscle temperature, which is enough to do stretching.
- You can do a few stretching workouts before getting out of your bed in the morning. Always wake up by doing full body stretching by gently stretching your arms over the head and pointing on your toes.
- You can also do some yoga steps of Surya Namaskar to stretch your muscles.
What Should Be the Frequency of Flexibility for Beginners?
Ideally, it would be great for the beginners if they do stretch or flexibility training for five to ten minutes before and after a workout. This is encouraging flexibility which further helps in improving muscle strength. Even the trained physician and exercisers also recommend having flexibility training for at least four to seven weeks. This will further help in minimizing the risk of muscle tension and improve the strength of the muscles.
With a master’s in Nutrition and her immense experience in the fitness world, Emma Brinson is one of our finest Nutritionists. Her dedication towards guiding people towards achieving their fitness goals is absolutely commendable and needless to say, our customers love her one-of-a-kind knowledge and the results they receive with her counselling.